Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Boats / Motors / Boating Equipment
 water in fuel tank.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  10:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I got an issue with water( not alcohol) showing up in my fuel tank. I only use non ethanol fuel in my system. the Racor system was totally full yesterday and shut engine off due to the amount of water in fuel tank. Is the correct thing to do is pump out the tank with the fuel pick up port or do I remove the level gauge and pump out from very bottom of tank. I am trying to find a pump that would hook directly to the rubber fuel line and transfer into clear 5 gallon containers. Three questions. Where do you dispose of this stuff? ( Legally) . where do you find a pump that transfer gasoline? and how did this much water get in a fuel tank?

go fish

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  12:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What material is the fuel tank made of?; Could be damaged/cracked, etc...; Is it below the water-line? Bilge water sipped into tank?;

Over-flow outlet/vent is one source of moisture and/or rain DO you do have a SS 'clam-shell' cover on the over-flow?;

The best removal action would be directly into the tank from the sending unit---usually located on top of the tank (under an inspection plate?);

Tilt boat and trailer---bow up with trailer jack PLUS additional material/jack-stand, etc---siphon out as much tainted fuel as possible;

Bleed ALL fuel lines with new/fresh gas;

Treat new/fresh fuel with additives specifically to remove water...Bio-bore, Sta-bil MARINE (BLUE), etc...DO NOT ADD ANYTHING WITH ALCOHOL (ALCOHOL-BASED);

Remove plugs---spin engine over several times and check for water droplets coming from the pistons;

The old fuel could possibly be burned in your truck IF NO WATER VISIBLE!

IF IN DOUBT...CONTACT LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT ABOUT DISPOSAL!

GOOD LUCK...John Castelluccio, Jr.

PS...at least you did not leave your fill cap off inlet!

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tank is aluminum 90 gallons. Was going to pressurize the vent side (3 to 4 lbs of air) and Check for crack in system. Vent cap is missing on side of boat? Used to have a plastic cover snap over the fitting but appears to have fallen or bumped off. The fuel fill cap is stainless steel threaded into a filler spout. Need to jnspect o ring under filler cap. Pumping out tomorrow to get quantity of water in tank. Tank is below water line under floor of boat but bilge has never had any quality of water it in. Always very dry and no fuel odor. More to come. Found siphon vacuum pump at o riellys

go fish
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  11:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FG,
It's not likely that your tank is cracked since you've had no fuel enter the bilge or smeeled it. If you don't ALWAYS top off after EACH trip you have probably accumulated the water due to condensation, even theough this is more prevelent in the winter months because the temperature swings are much greater. Regardless, the BEST way to remove the water is thru the fuel line since it draws off the bottom rear of the tank, and you dont have to break the seal on your sending unit. The process is very simple and you dont have to go buy a pump designed to handle fuel. You were about to pressure up the tank to check it for leaks and you wwere almost on the path to remove the water the best and easiest way. First, crank the boat up on your trailer jack to about as high as it will go and let it sit for a couple of hours. disconnect the fuel line before your fuel water seperator and connect another hose to it long enough to reach the ground son you can run it into your containers, even if its done by slippimg a hose over your exisiting fuel hose, most of the time you don't even need to apply a clamp. Put that hose in your container and apply enough air pressure into your vent to get the liquid flowing. It wont take much and don't get alarmed if you hear the tank make a little "bump" noise as it might expamd slightly. Continue to reapply and maintain pressure until you see good looking fuel appear consistantly in your container(s). Chamces are you have less than a 1/2 gallon of water in your tank. what little that might be left will easily be handled by your seperator. I've used this method countless times to give my neighbors fuel for their generators during storm driven power outages. In the future, always top your tank off after each trip and all you'll need to do is replace the seperator cartridge annually as a maintainence item.

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  10:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT SUGGESTIONS---As per Secret-Formula: "...disconnect the fuel line before your fuel water seperator and connect another hose to it long enough to reach the ground so you can run it into your containers, even if its done by slippimg a hose over your exisiting fuel hose, most of the time you don't even need to apply a clamp. Put that hose in your container and apply enough air pressure into your vent to get the liquid flowing...." F Y I: IF YOU CAN...the hose intended to reach into the container---try to snake it through the hull's drain plug hole so as not to rise over the transom, let the pressure and gravity direct the fuel down to your container! The pressure alone should be enough to 'pump/push' the fuel towards the container! Just my suggestions...John Castelluccio, Jr.

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
Most of the time the gravity feed / siphon method does not work on boats because most of the outlet fitting on modern built in tanks have a spring loaded valve whose design is to act as a check valve to keep fuel in the line between the tank and the engine when it's shut off, but it also disables the gravity feed method.

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2016 :  11:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Removed the water, pressurizing system worked great. I had less than 2 gallons of water in tank but didn't get the message to remove hose before the racor filter. so the racor filter was full of water again. I drained and changed out racor so all is good.

Thanks
Stan

go fish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000